US trade agency affirms Trump’s additional hike on Chinese goods

The US Trade Representative's office on Wednesday reaffirmed President Donald Trump's plans to impose an additional 5 percent tariff on a list of $300 billion worth of Chinese imports starting on Sept 1 and Dec 15.

The USTR said in an official notice that on Sept 1, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency will begin collecting a 15 percent tariff on a portion of the list that contains over $125 billion of targeted goods from China, including smartwatches, Bluetooth headphones, flat panel televisions and footwear. A 15 percent tariff will be levied on the remainder of the list, which includes cellphones, laptop computers, toys and clothing, from Dec. 15, the agency said in the Federal Register filing. The Trump administration had previously planned to impose a lower 10 percent tariff on the $300 billion of imports, which represents nearly all the remaining U.S. imports from China yet to be hit with punitive US tariffs.

Source: VOV5