Whole community cares for needy people
PANO �These days, various social programs have been held in support of national contributors and needy people on the occasion of the coming Lunar New Year Festival.
On January 27, Politburo member and Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee Nguyen Thien Nhan presented gifts to needy workers in Tra Vinh province and needy locals in Hoa Loi commune, Chau Thanh district, Tra Vinh province. Nhan also handed over VND 500 million raised by the city leaders and people for Tra Vinh province in support of needy people, while the Saigontourist Holding Company presented the same amount of money to help those in need in the province have a cozy Tet.
* President of the Vietnam Fatherland Front Central Committee Tran Thanh Man handed over 100 gifts to needy cancer patients at Bach Mai Hospital, Hanoi. He was touched while listening to stories about the needy patients who are struggling with their deadly diseases. Man praised efforts of the hospital's medical staff in taking care of patients over the past 108 years.
* Rear Admiral Pham Van Vung, Party Secretary and Political Commissar of the Vietnam People's Navy, visited and handed over the Navy's gifts to crewmembers of Submarine Brigade 189. During the visit, he wished the unit's troops a cozy, safe, and economical Tet while strictly ensuring combat readiness.
* On January 26, the Student Assistance Center of Ho Chi Minh City presented free bus tickets to more than 2,500 students to help them celebrate Tet with their families. Until now, the center's program has benefited more than 49,600 needy students from different localities.
The same day, the Son La provincial Border Guard Command, in association with the provincial leadership, held a program to provide free health check-ups and medicines for 200 locals, and presented gifts, worth VND 800,000 each, to needy people, national contributors, and those who had supported border troops in safeguarding the sovereignty and security in border areas. The units handed over clothing and scholarships to needy students.
* Economic-Defense Mission 4 of Military Region 4 visited and presented gifts to secretaries of Party committees, elderly people and heads of villages, national contributors, and needy students with good academic results in Ky Son and Que Phong districts, Nghe An province.
* From January 24 to 26, a mission of Division 5 of Military Region 7 paid a Tet visit and presented gifts to Vietnamese heroic mothers, the People's Armed Forces, and national contributors in Tay Ninh and Binh Duong provinces. The unit also handed over gifts to its former troops of different periods and needy servicemen.
Source: People's Army Newspaper