Pompeo sees more North Korea talks, Seoul faces limits in mediator role

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday he was hopeful the United States would send a delegation to North Korea in the coming weeks, after a summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ended with no deal, Trend reports referring to Reuters.

The leaders' second summit, held last week in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi, failed to produce any agreement or immediate plan for follow-up negotiations.

I am hopeful, although I have no commitment yet, that we will be back at it, that I'll have a team in Pyongyang in the next couple weeks, Pompeo told the Iowa Farm Bureau.

I'm continuing to work to find those places where there's a shared interest, he said.

The two sides gave different reasons for the abrupt end to the talks about denuclearization on the Korean peninsula.

Trump said on Thursday that North Korea wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety, while North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho said they had only demanded a partial easing in exchange for dismantling its main nuclear site at Yongbyon.

However, the two sides left room for further discussions, with Trump highlighting the economic benefits for North Korea if it gave up its nuclear weapons.

North Korean state media, which in the past has used fiery rhetoric against Trump and blamed the United States for previous failed negotiations, reported on Tuesday that Kim returned home after a successful trip to Vietnam.

It made no mention of the summit breakdown or any disagreement between the two leaders, in line with its positive coverage last week.

Source: TREND News Agency