US, DPRK agree to continue talks

DPRK Chairman Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump will continue their dialogue in the future though their 2nd summit in Hanoi on Wednesday and Thursday ended without an agreement.

Mr. Trump said he had a great time with Mr. Kim and feels that denuclearization is now closer. He promised that no new sanctions will be imposed on the DPRK. During phone calls to South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on his way home from the summit, President Trump confirmed he will continue his dialogue with the DPRK.

At a press conference on Thursday night in Hanoi following the summit, DPRK Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said Mr. Kim had done all he could, given the current level of confidence between the DPRK and the US. DPRK state media KCNA said the meeting in Hanoi was an opportunity for the DPRK and the US to improve relations and build trust.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said the Korean Peninsula had reached a turning point and returned to the political settlement roadmap during the past year. This was a tough achievement that should be treasured.

In Thursday's statement, the Republic of Korea's Presidential Office said the RoK regrets that the two sides were unable to reach an agreement, but they have made the most meaningful progress in their talks so far.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres praised the DPRK-US summit as "courageous diplomacy" and expressed hope that talks will continue.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said Russia welcomes President Trump's and Chairman Kim's intention to pursue further bilateral talks.

Source: VOV5